The 1940 U.S. Federal Census was released to the public by the U.S. National Archives on April 2, 2012. Read on for details on its availability in ProQuest genealogy products.
- The 1940 Census will be added to HeritageQuest Online.
- It will be an every-name index, and all states and US territories will be included. The roll-out will take at least 12 months to complete.
- The digital images and corresponding name index for each state will be completed and released together, not separately.
- A state-by-state release schedule is not available, but customers can expect to see some of the smaller states appearing by early summer.
- A complete set of browsable 1940 Census images are currently being added to Ancestry Library Edition. It may take 2-4 weeks to finish this task. A direct link to the 1940 Census images can be found on the Ancestry Library Edition home page (for subscribing customers).
- Searchable, every-name indexes for each state will roll-out during the next 6-9 months. A state-by-state release schedule is not available, but customers can expect to see some of the smaller states beginning to appear in April.
- Remember: Only browsable images are currently available.
Note: Release schedules are approximate and subject to change.