As of September 1st, we will be ready to use our online question management system, QuestionPoint, to refer information requests (reference questions) between libraries for our customers. Terry Beck and Christa Werle are developing an announcement for all libraries, an Intranet page for best practices, and talking points and instructions for anyone working at an Information Desk or helping a customer submit a question through our online form: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=1175. Watch for a post & email with more information around September 1, 2011.
RSC discussed the needs for reference collections in libraries focused on serving elementary through high school students. We learned from Collection Development that we are buying fewer copies of circulating non-fiction in print because it tends not to get checked out with the exception of career, animal, and science information. These are the three areas that the RSC also feels should be developed in a Student Place print reference collection. In addition the circulating collections of a Student Place might be developed with career, animal, science, states & countries, health & medical, and 100 page biographies. It was discussed that most students want information that they can take with them by checking out, making copies, or accessing online. It appears that students are placing less and less demand for in library use only materials.
Through the Washington State Library’s Statewide Database Licensing Project, Sno-Isle Libraries subscribes to a package of products through a shared contract for discounted pricing. This year, ProQuest was awarded the contract after a RFP process. For more information on this decision and the process, please visit the WSL: http://www.sos.wa.gov/library/libraries/projects/sdl/
Sno-Isle Libraries has now completed linking to our new package of products. Please familiarize yourself with them and promote with gusto! We will be offered training; I will forward the schedule as it becomes available.
- ProQuest Research Library: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=5829
- National Newspapers Core: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=5830
- Washington State Newsstand: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=3092
- ProQuest Platform User Guide
- Product Info: Full text coverage of major Washington newspapers including the daily newspapers from Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, and Spokane, plus selected coverage of other regional sources.
- ProQuest Family Health: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=5831
- ProQuest Learning: Literature: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=5826
- History Study Center: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=5825
- ABI/INFORM Trade & Industry: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=3096
- eLibrary: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=1487
- SIRS Discoverer: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=5823
- CultureGrams Online: http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=2173
- World Conflicts Today (available through June 30, 2012 then content will migrate to SIRS Discoverer): http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=3683
- Quick Start Guide
- Product Info: Explore conflicts occurring in such countries as Afghanistan, Iraq and North Korea—includes teaching tools such as classroom guides and slideshows.
And, of course, let me or your Reference Services Committee representative know if you have any questions!
Based on the popularity of the resource (usage) and the ongoing transition from print to online meaning we were losing access to the Small & Mid-Cap Edition, we have upgraded from the Value Line Investment Survey to the Value Line Research Center.
When accessing Value Line (http://www.sno-isle.org/?ID=5206), you will see the expanded options available under the “Quick Index” links on the left side of your screen.
This subscription includes:
• The Value Line Investment Survey Library Edition
• The Value Line Expanded Library Edition
• The Value Line Mutual Fund Survey – Full-page reports on about 700 leading equity funds, and abbreviated reports on over 1,200 additional equity and bond funds. We also provide summary data reports on all of the funds in the Value Line Mutual Fund database, which contains about 20,000 total mutual funds. Additionally, you can use on-line screening tools to search the database for funds that meet your specific investment objectives.
• The Value Line Daily Options Survey – Daily evaluations and ranks on over 180,000 options, on about 2,000 stocks, and 11,000 longer-term options (LEAPS).
• The Value Line Special Situations Service – Opens the world of emerging companies with bright futures to the more aggressive investor. Our analysts are constantly on the lookout for lesser-known stocks where unusual developments may pave the way for extraordinary rewards.
• The Value Line Convertible Survey – Contains analysis and evaluation of over 700 convertible issues and nearly 120 warrants in a timely and easy to use format, as well as buy and sell recommendations, full- page reports on recommended securities, and news on companies in the service.
In addition, The Value Line Research Center also provides users free delayed stock quotes, company news, extensive graphing, market updates, portfolio tracking with alerts, Value Line Analyst Supplements in real time, educational programs and a great deal of free information from Wall Street’s most respected source.
I do not have any training or webinar information at this time, though we plan to schedule this in coordination with eResource of the Month in 2012.
We do have a one page Value Line User Guide
Please let me know if you have any questions! (x7160)
We hope you are enjoying the new stock and fund reports on Morningstar Investment Research Center. As you will see, you now can access new features such as historical daily prices from the 1960’s, executive bios and compensation, export features for the top 100 fund holdings and much more. These reports will be fully launched in early fall.
Our regularly scheduled monthly training session will be held on Thursday, August 4th at 11am Central Time. We will review the full database during that session. If you or your patrons would like to pre-register, please email email@example.com.
Were you curious? I was! Following are the top five accessed Gale Virtual Reference Library titles in June 2011. All titles are hyper-linked so that you can check out the hot topics for yourself!
Our new statewide database project license with ProQuest began on 7/1/11. I am in the process of switching over all of our linking to the new titles and descriptions and should have updates posted here and to Reference Contacts in the next week. Definitely in time for Back-to-School promotions and visits.
In the meantime, you can view a list of products in the “new” ProQuest package and their descriptions on the Washington State Library site:
Note: As the changeovers are made, we will not continue to provide access to the discontinued products WITH THE EXCEPTION of World Conflicts Today which will only be available through June 30,2012.
Please contact me, Christa Werle, x7160, with any questions!